Thursday, May 5, 2011

Who ever said life was easy?

Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out. 
~Art Linkletter


There is no guarantee that life is going to be smooth sailing, but that is no reason for you to just sit back and let life just happen to you.

When I was faced with the biggest fight of my life – the literal fight for my life against multiple myeloma cancer – I found myself having to reach back to my own history to tap into a fighting spirit and faith that I didn’t even know I had in order to get me through.

And I truly believe deep in my heart and soul that you can do the same.
During my stay in the hospital I had a lot of time to think about where and how I would get the mental and physical strength I would need to beat the odds.

As I lay there in my hospital bed with I don’t know how many needles stuck into me in the name of life, I had no idea if the drugs they were pumping into my veins were helping me or destroying my insides. Although the pain wouldn’t let up, I tried not to lose myself in the morphine haze that was taking me out of myself and into a dream state.

But I believed that I needed to stay in reality to survive, even though it was no picnic being there. In spite of the morphine, or maybe because of it, I began to have moments of clarity and flashes of childhood memories that reminded me just how tough I really was and always had been. I also realized that if I ever wanted to get out of that hospital I would need to be even tougher.

I knew that the fight was on.

No comments:

Post a Comment